Support Our Seniors Summer continues with a quick lesson about Medicare Part A.
What Medicare Part A is and what it covers:
- It is hospital insurance, meaning it covers most inpatient hospital care
- It also covers some sipatient skilled nursing and home health care and hospice
- No quarterly premium required if you have 40 quarters of Social Security -- 10 years of full-time work
- 30-39 Quarters: Monthly Premium
- There is an annual deductible: 2019-$1,364
- Benefits are paid after the deductible is paid
- The deductible is good only for EACH benefits period
- Benefits period begins upon entry to a hospital, and ends after break of 60 consecutive days since inpatient hospital or skilled nursing care provided.
- Hospital stays 60 days or longer means a daily deductible is required
Part A DOES NOT COVER:
- Private hospital rooms (unless medically necessary)
- Private duty nursing
- Telephones or television