Police say woman stranded on I-75 killed by car after sound of gunshot, running into traffic

Woman struck by passing car on I-75 in Monroe County

Troopers from the Monroe Post are on the scene of an ongoing situation on southbound I-75 near Luna Pier, Exit 6 in Monroe County. (Copyright 2025 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.)

MONROE COUNTY, Mich. – State police said a woman who was stranded in her car on I-75 was killed when she ran into traffic following the sound of a gunshot.

At 8:28 p.m. Monday, March 31, troopers were called to help a border patrol agent who stopped to check on a stranded driver on southbound I-75 near Exit 6 in Erie Township.

After getting the driver’s information, the agent went back to his vehicle.

A short time later, the agent reported hearing a gunshot and seeing a “possible subject running from the area of the vehicle into the woods,” according to Tuesday’s release from the Michigan State Police Monroe Post.

In the original release on Monday night, police said that a man had been seen running from the area and into the woods. At the time, police said they weren’t sure “if the male subject came from the vehicle, or if he fired the shot.”

The man wasn’t mentioned in Tuesday’s update, but police did say that nobody else was found and there is no danger to the public.

Both releases said the woman ran onto I-75 just south of where her car was stopped. She was hit by a passing vehicle, according to police.

The woman, who has been identified as a 47-year-old from Monroe, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Troopers were assisted by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the Michigan Department of Transportation, a drone from the Dundee Police Department, the Luna Pier Police Department, the Erie Township Fire Department, and U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Michigan State Monroe Post at 734-242-3500.


About the Author
Sara Powers headshot

Sara Powers joined WDIV as a digital content producer in Oct. 2024 and has been covering Metro Detroit news since 2021.