Space heater believed to be cause of fatal Warren fire

WARREN, Mich. – Authorities believe a space heater could be the cause of a deadly garage fire in Warren.

The fire started just before 5 a.m. Friday, March 29, at a detached garage on Arden Street, near the intersection of 14 Mile and Mound roads.

Fire crews extinguished the blaze and found the body of a 72-year-old man inside the garage, who they confirmed was the homeowner.

Police said they believe the fire was accidental and potentially caused by a space heater that was knocked over in the garage.

Investigators are working to see if the deceased man may have suffered a medical emergency which caused him to knock over the space heater. The investigation is ongoing.

Heating is the second leading cause of home fires, according to the National Safety Council (NSC).

The U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that 1,100 fires a year result from the use of portable electric heaters.

About the Author

Dane Kelly is a digital producer who has been covering various Michigan news stories since 2017.

Recommended Videos